Social Icons

Sunday, October 11, 2015

On Quirks & Little Things


Spain is different.
Actually America is different.
Actually they are apples to oranges some days haha.
I started writing a little list that I thought was funny of little quirks that made me laugh, I don’t really have any better introduction.

Water isn’t free: You have to pay for water unless you specifically ask for “un vaso de agua” (like a glass of water) because otherwise they assume you want una botella de agua fria (a literal glass bottle of water). This has been learned via a few miscommunications and nights out to eat where we ordered twelve waters hahahahaaha.

There aren’t any toilet handles : I think this is a water efficiency thing, and I actually think it’s smart. The toilets are all super low-rise (water level?) and there’s a button you push on top instead. “Jessie why do you care” well peanut gallery, it may have or may not have taken me three weeks in the country to not habitually reach behind me to flush the toilet hahaha

“Vale” The ultimate filler word!!! You can’t miss it in Spain. It means “okay”.

I’m going, vale?
Vale, are you going too?
Okay okay okay vale vale vale.
Right? Vale?
It's worth it. Vale.
You're welcome. Vale.
Sounds good. Vale.
Oh well. Vale.
That's right. Vale.
Are you paying attention? Vale?
Do you understand? Vale?
I agree. Vale.
I'm listening. Vale.

I thought it was the most ridiculous thing at first  because it can be used after all of those things, but we speak the same way in English using okay/alright/got it? No pasa nada

People walk in the streets. Everywhere. A lot of the streets are more pedestrian than otherwise, but cars can still pass for businesses and whatnot. Basically people run the streets, especially in Alcalá,

Eating times are weird. My first week I thought I was going to wither away waiting for time to crawl until lunch. I’m used to it now and actually really like it, but to an American it’s weird; we eat breakfast around 8 or 9, lunch at 2 or 3, and dinner somewhere between 8 and 10.

There are not plugs every 5 feet in every building. I don’t know anything is charged or cleaned around here haha. It’s also very hard to just make the assumption I can charge my phone any place we visit. So I don’t bank on that anymore.

“¿Qué tal? They don’t really use ¿Cómo está? As much as every Spanish book ever has you believe. The most common greeting I’ve heard is que tal, which through me for a loop for the first week. It’s like “how are you?” but with the same casual approach as “what’s up”, so I always wanted to say “nada” when a better answer is “bien”.

Tapa bars are the bomb I feel like I’ve explained this a few dozen times, but I will do it officially and on the record right now. Basically, since there's so much time in between meals (or alternatively: if you are out with friends) and need something to eat, it's common and totally possible to get a small amount of food for only a few euros and they call it a "tapa". It's referencing more so the size than the type of food, since that will vary slightly depending on where you are and the kind of restaurant.

Men shave their legs. I don’t know why, and I really don’t know how often. I just have spent a lot of time on the metro and am stating what I’ve seen. Oh Europe.

“…Suerte.” this is something our host dad says literally every meal. Literally….every meal. “Do you like the food?” “yeah of course!” “suerte…. If you don’t like the food……mala suerte.” Every meal. Suerte means luck. Also every meal he says “ayayayayyyy Gloria… jefa…. muy mal muy mal…” (ahhhh Gloria the boss… just awful) and plops on the couch haha.

“No pasa nada” this is my favorite expression, it basically means no big deal. It litrerally translates to something around ‘nothing passes’ or ‘nothing happens’ but it’s just a funny little thing.

Asians are everywhere. This is not an intentionally racist comment, just a factual statement; sometimes I’m taken aback by how many Asians are in Spain. And I guess it’s probably the same in the states, you just don’t think of it... It’s funny because there are a lot of little Asian stores (think:  convenience/snack store) every couple of blocks, guaranteed. But also that it’s PC to collectively call them “los chinos” (“the chinese”)- honest, it’s fine. To my English brain it doesn’t feel right, but… when in Rome…

Eggs are never for breakfast, only for lunch or dinner. We have “tortilla” all the time (hot or cold, doesn’t matter) which is like… think half-inch pancake but of egg and potato. That’s a terrible description but that’s what it is haha. But it’s so good!!

It's rude to take your shoes off inside learned this one the hard way... in America we take our shoes off so as to not get the carpet dirty. Carpet doesn't really exist here. And "feet are gross". So you're supposed to leave your shoes on unless you're essentially so close you're family. So.... note to Jessie Dean... keep your shoes on in class. And for those with sassy comments I had sandals on haha it's not like I whipped off boots and socks and slopped around.

They watch endless re-runs of The Simpsons. We've told them that the Simpsons aren't really that popular in the states (not nearly as popular as they are in Spain) and this is like the most absurd thought to them haha

People have different ideas about “hot” and “cold”- I’m from Wisconsin, I like the cold. It’s high 60’s outside right now and with no context of what day of the year it was, if you looked outside at the people on the street you would think they’re about to go be a part of the Iditarod. Likewise, when it was almost 100 degrees when I got to Spain and I felt like I was basically on fire, that was like a perfect day to them. Also I get scolded for walking the 10 feet (in between our apartments) barefoot outside after it rains or if it’s cold haha.

Bread everywhere. Everywhere. Every meal. Every store. Unavoidable. So delicious. Hello bread cheeks.

No one is really moving to get anywhere… unless it’s in the metro.
People have this pace… it’s real tranquilo, but as an American sometimes I feel like they are walking backwards it’s so slow. Unless they’re getting on or off a bus/train. Those people are sprinting and you best be too unless you want to be clotheslined by a rolling suitcase or guitar case.

Everything and everyone is late… except the train. Time is relative with 5 minute cushions, probably to account for the people who are still just trying to walk to meet you (joke), but seriously train waits fo no one haha

Flies I have not really seen any bugs here in Spain (comparatively to the Midwest) Except there are MOSCAS stinking EVERYWHERE.

People are people, but they're pretty great every big city has the big city mentality but generally speaking a lot of the people we've talked to/met are so kind and patient with us. But yes absolutely the stereotype of spanish people liking to talk is accurate. Yes.

Besitos (little kisses) I feel like this is just one of those things that everyone already knows about Spain. In America, you greet people you’re meeting for the first time with a handshake or hug (typically) but the Spain thing is a big on/next to on each cheek.

If you’re hanging out with friends, you do it at the plaza.  Or just "out". I was thinking about this the other day because we (the americans) were trying to plan a get-together but we were having the hardest time figuring out where because we can’t do it at our host-homes… people just meet up and hang out outside haha. There's just not enough space in these little spanish apartments to have a throw down aka more than 4 people comfortably.

You can buy everything at it's own store this sounds inconvenient, but it's actually so fun. Like go to the bakery for bread, the fruit shop for fruit, the meat shop for ... you get it. Also I know these have real names or something close in english but it's late and I need your patience haha.

The streets come alive at night it's impossible to find anyone midday, probs because they're sleeping or prepping lunch. But after seven? Everyone and their grandma is out on the prowl. I don't know what they're doing, but they're definitely out and about.


That’s about it. Just some fun bits for everyone.
Love you all! Also I am so so sad peaches are out of season.
SO SAD.



Jessie



*disclaimer: this last picture is in no-way mine, it's called "Barcelona" and is from deviantart by geert1845

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!